Yields 6 individual ramekins. Can also choose to bake in a large baking tray.
1 granny smith apple, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 tbs sugar; 1/2 cup sugar (separated)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups challah croutons / cubes
2 large eggs + 2 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
2 cups macadamia nut milk
1/2 cup of Califia Farms dairy-free better half coconut cream & almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Honey or powdered sugar for on top
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Cut challah into 1 inch cubes and place on baking sheet and toast in oven for 5-7 minutes until golden.
3. In a large pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and sauté apple pieces with pinch of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar until apples are tender, remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and yolks - add 1/2 cup of sugar, another pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt until blended, set aside.
5. Place a small saucepan over high heat and scald the macadamia nut milk and the non-dairy creamer.
6. Then add the milk/creamer to the large bowl with the egg mixture, whisking constantly; add the vanilla extract.
7. Place your challah cubes into a clean bowl and scatter your cooked apples on top. Pour your liquid mixture over the bread/apples and let soak at room temperature for an hour.
8. Grease ramekins and fill each with the soaked challah/apple mixture. Place the individual ramekins on a baking tray and bake the pudding at 325 degrees for 60 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the edges.
9. Let cool, then top with either powdered sugar or honey and serve!