Our Pomegranate Beet Challah will brighten any Rosh Hashana table.
For the dough:
- Follow instructions for The Challah Box Classic Recipe.
For the filling:
- Make either ahead of time or during the first rise.
Ingredients for filling:
- 3 medium sized beets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Rinse beets and peel. Cut off ends and dice into 1/2 inch pieces and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast on a foil lined baking sheet for 15 minutes (or until fork tender).
- While beets are roasting, place pomegranate juice and 1/2 cup of sugar into a sauce pan and bring to a bubbly simmer. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes until syrup reduces. Syrup should be thick but caution to not overcook/burn the syrup.
- Remove beets from oven and let cool.
- Place beets and pomegranate syrup into a food processor and blend.
- Once the first rise of your dough is complete, roll your strands to braid. If making the round basket weave braid featured above, you will need 4 strands of dough.
- Flatten the strands using a rolling pin, then spread a thin row of the pomegranate-beet mixture in center of flattened dough and roll up. It’s fine if some filling leaks out— it’ll give it a beautiful red appearance.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully place the challah on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Whisk one egg for egg wash. Generously brush the challah with the egg wash.
- Cover and let rise another 30-45 minutes.
- Egg wash again and then place in oven to bake for 30 minutes.
If you have any pomegranate/beet syrup leftover it would make a great sauce for your roasted chicken!